The submission period has opened for this year’s Mixed Roots Film and Literary Festival, scheduled to run June 16-17 at the Japanese American National Museum in Los Angeles.
Submissions sent before Feb. 15 are FREE, but entries submitted between Feb. 16 and March 15 must be accompanied by a $50 fee. Submissions are accepted in the following categories: film, performance, literary, and workshops.
- Subject matter may include but is not limited to: interracial/cultural relationships, transracial/cultural adoption and the exploration of multiracial/cultural identity.
- Please note that there may be a Q&A session at each screening of the Festival on June 16 or 17, though participation is not mandatory.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation and lodging. The festival is unable to provide an honorarium. (This applies to all categories.)
- Open to comics, actors, musicians, and spoken word artists with self-contained, portable acts suitable to a black box theatre.
- Submissions must be complete and run under five minutes. (Performers must be off-book.)
- Performers must be available for both a mandatory rehearsal on June 15 and a performance during the festival.
- No props or furniture will be provided.
- Besides filling out the submissions form above, applicants must send a 10-15 page writing sample and a high res jpeg photo of themselves as attachments to email@example.com with “Literary” and the applicant’s name in the subject line.
- Participants must be available to read from their works during the festival.
These submissions may address only one of the following:
- Creation of literary content
- Creation of film content
- Providing a historical context for inclusion in film/literary content.
- All presenters’ attendance must be confirmed by applicants at the time of submission.
- Presenters are expected to arrive at the Festival site no later than 45 minutes prior to the scheduled workshop time.